29 July 2010

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty--especially if they learn of her Sight--and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too later. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost--regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; everything.

Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectation swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first-century faery tale.
  • I felt nothing for the characters.  There was no depth.  At least if I hate a character, that says something for how they were portrayed.  Yet with this...there was nothing given to me.  Nothing to round out their characters.  Most of the time, I felt disdain for Aislinn's character because when she was supposed to come off as fierce, she just seemed fake.  Like a child playing grown-up.
  • The writing style.  Ah.  The writing did nothing to credit this story.  It felt more like a retelling, giving no credit to these character's personal feelings.  There was a lot of telling and not enough showing.  Very short, to the point, and shallow.  It seems that the popularity for this book runs entirely off of the idea.  I could not feel any passion from the writing.  None at all.
  • The end lost me.  The climax should be the best part of the story.  I was reading and going, "What?"  Things were not explained well enough and again, there was no passion.  It moved too fast.  I felt no shock at the turn of events.  I couldn't really bring myself to care what happened to the characters.  When Aislinn gripped the staff, the outcome was poorly described.  I was thinking, "So what?"
  • I suppose I will check out the sequel because for better or for worse, I am curious to know what will happen next.  Though I am sorely tempted to drop the series.  The epilogue really did it in.  I was less than ten pages from the end and just wanted it to be over with.  How the relationships turned out?  Not at all to my liking and I cannot even summon the passion to drive that point home.  That's how little I really got from the characters.
  • The summary really builds this story up and it doesn't deliver.  I remember viewing this book as promising when I read the description.
  • I love the cover, though.  I love all of the covers.  I doubt I'll ever buy this series (if I do, it'll be all in paperback because I am not spending all the money to purchase a hardcover edition).  I prefer the Wondrous Strange series by Lesley Livingston or The Faerie Path by Frewin Jones.  The writing was much better in those two series--the passion clearly coming through.  
  • WARNING:  To younger and/or more sensitive readers--there is mild language in this book, including the F-bomb being dropped a few times.  It is not, however, as thick and extensive as Holly Black's "Valiant".
  • I do have a song that would go well with this book, though: "What Would It Be Like" by Lindsay Aline (she has a BEAUTIFUL voice).  In describing Aislinn's despair and all that jazz.
Book Info:
  • pages - hardcover, 328
  • published - May 2007
  • publisher - HarperTeen
  • genre - urban fantasy
  • Summer Reading 2010 - #20
  • rating - 2/5