31 July 2010

Happy Birthday, Harry Potter


Today is July 31st.  And if you are a Harry Potter fan, this means that today is his birthday.  So I just wanted to leave this post open for anybody to "say a few words" as it were.  I know we aren't commiserating his death or anything...so perhaps that phrase was a tad bit too morbid.

Whatever.  Keep it moving, Amelia.

I just wanted to say here how much of an impact the Harry Potter books have had on me.  Especially my childhood.  I started reading the first Harry Potter book when I was five-years-old.  I would sit in my mom's bed and she started reading it to me.  That was how I got started reading.  After that, it was all downhill.  I once raced a kid in my second grade class to see who could finish Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire first.

So my love for books was all because of J.K. Rowling's Big Idea.  Now, I don't really think of the Harry Potter books as books like I think of Sarah Dessen's novels as books.  The Harry Potter series has taken up an entirely different category.  I know the entire series front to back to front again.  It has redefined the meaning and interpretation of a book.

Alright.  I'll shut up  now.  Jeez, I'm waxing poetic.

So finally, a big Happy Birthday to Harry Potter and in turn, J.K. Rowling. :)

Cheers, everybody!