28 July 2010

Frannie In Pieces by Delia Ephron

What does you in--brain or heart?
Frannie asks herself this question when, a week before she turns fifteen, her dad dies, leaving her suddenly deprived of the only human being on planet Earth she feels understands her.  Frannie struggles to make sense of a world that no longer seems safe, a world in which one moment can turn things so thoroughly for the worse.  She discovers an elegant wooden box with an inscription: Frances Anne 1000.  Inside, Frannie finds one thousand hand-painted and -carved puzzle pieces.  She wonders if her father had a premonition of his death and finished her birthday present early.  Feeling broken into pieces herself, Frannie slowly puts the puzzle together, bit by bit.  But as she works, something remarkable begins to happen: She is catapulted into an ancient foreign landscape, a place suspended in time where she can discover her father as he was B.F.--before Frannie.



As suggested by Linna @ 21 Pages (that girl is mucho awesome and it's her BIRTHDAY!), I shall stick to my list form from now on. :)  So hang on tight, kiddies!

  • What do you do when your only friend dies?  THAT is the real question.  Frannie is reeling from her father's death--which came a week before her fifteenth birthday.  Convenient, isn't it?  Frannie's pain is raw and I could feel myself sympathizing with her as she tried to figure out who she was without her daddy.  It brought forth a lot of things for me, because my dad and I are really close.  So I could imagine her pain.
  • This was SO not how life was supposed to be.  Frannie gets stuck working at a summer camp and dealing with a fellow councilor there--who happens to call her Frannie-Bo-Banny.  Aren't teenage boys just so clever?
  • I really enjoyed Frannie's story.  Even though it hit close to my own fears of anything happening to my dad.  A book is supposed to move you, right?  This book really laid things out for me as Frannie tried to deal with her family, friends, and work while trying to move on with her life.  Getting sucked into a puzzle isn't helping.
  • This story was put together very well.  While more appropriate perhaps for middle grade readers, this story was incredibly written and realistic.
  • Frannie had a true voice.  Was this a journal entry?  Frannie's emotions were written clearly, right there on the page.  Everything was so vivid.  I've realized that sometimes, the voice of a child is the clearest of them all.  Child characters don't have the shield that teenagers and adults learn to put up around themselves.
  • I read this story sometime ago, but it's stuck with me.  I can still remember Frannie's struggles and how she dealt with her dad's death.  I still remember the romantic twist--as romantic as a middle grade book can get. XD  This story stuck with me.  Incredibly so, because I know at least once you've had the problem where you can't recall hardly anything about the book you read last week.  And I haven't read this book in years.
  • The Cover: It was the cover that made me pick it up.  What made me bring it home was the first page.  It brings Frannie's voice right out and drags you in with it.
  • First line(s): Do you know what it says on a tube of toothpaste?  In small print?  You have to read the small print because they never tell you anything scary in large print.  Large print is what they want you to see.  Here's what the large print says: For best results, squeeze tube from the bottom and flatten as you go up.  But the important stuff is small.  Tiny.  If more than use for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.  You can die from toothpaste.
  • Note: This book is NOT apart of my summer reading.  I'm merely catching up on my reviews from books I've read--even though the next few reviews I read a million years ago. XD
Book Info:
  • pages - hardcover, 384
  • published - October 2007
  • publisher - HarperTeen
  • genre - urban fantasy