28 June 2010

Raised By Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes



Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it. That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.

But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?
Raised By Wolves was... interesting. The characters were well developed and defined enough to where you weren't getting confused with who was who.  I don't know how to describe this book. It was interesting and the plot was wonderful but something about it just didn't click right with me.  

I enjoyed Bryn's character. She's fun and she's incredibly strong. And she's perfect, right? Because she doesn't let the wolves--especially the Alpha--take control of her. She's independent and doesn't put up with crap. So why doesn't she really seem like all that?

This was a funny book. That's what I enjoyed most about it. Bryn is absolutely hilarious and her friend, Lake, is as well. So I was constantly laughing. And I love a book that can make me laugh.

The plot was strong and interesting but something didn't work.  Perhaps the credibility of the romance? I mean, Chase and Bryn barely knew each other and didn't really GET to know each other in the book, yet they claimed each other? In werewolf terminology, the Marked each other. Would die for one another, and they didn't know each other. Hardly at all.

Eh. Just didn't fly well with me. It's just a few fries short of a Happy Meal. And I mean this in the most positive way. I really do want to see what happens in the sequels. Cause Bryn had an incredible ability to attract trouble and because of her newfound status by the end of the book (hehe...I am taunting, I know) she'll have a BOATLOAD of trouble on her hands.

In short, I definitely recommend it to all werewolf lovers. Definitely give it a go. It will probably click with you and it not sitting well with me is probably because I'm just a nonconformist like that.


Book Info:
  • pages - hardcover, 432
  • publisher - Egmont USA
  • genre - paranormal romance
  • rating - 4/5
  • series - Raised By Wolves
    • Raised By Wolves
    • Trial By Fire
  • Summer Reading 2010 - #7