13 June 2010

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

TITLE: Sisters Red
AUTHOR: Jackson Pearce
PAGES: Hardcover, 346
PUBLISHER: Little, Brown
GENRE: Urban fantasy
OTHER BOOKS BY JACKSON PEARCE: "As You Wish," COMING SOON --> "Sweetly" (Sisters Red #2)

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris-- the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax-- but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they've worked for.

Twenty-five-year-old Jackson Pearce delivers a dark, taut fairy tale with heart-pounding action, fierce sisterly love, and a romance that will leave readers breathless.  


Ever since I stumbled across it, "Sisters Red" has intrigued me.  I've always gone for the werewolf stories but this one seemed to hold a different resonance.  I found it immediately at Borders and went home feeling the anticipation rise in my chest.  This was a good story.  I could feel it.  Feel it through the plastic bag.  I plunked myself down in my armchair the moment I reached my room and started reading.

It immediately drew me in, presenting us with the bloody attack of Oma March and the beginning of Scarlett March's obsession with hunting and destroying every Fenris (the werewolves) on the face of the planet.  She's imbued with a passion to put herself in front of her sister, Rosie, always.  The sisters with one heart.

The writing is straightforward and elegant but the passion runs deep through the characters, the passion for love stretching between them like a live wire.  The romance is passionate and presents intriguing obstacles.

Jackson Pearce is excellent at describing fight scenes in all manners of terrains.  From the city park to a back alley to an abandoned lot.  It all culminates in a racing finish that puts you on the edge of your seat.

I enjoyed the alternating points of view between Scarlett and Rosie.  It was interesting how much they think alike and yet so differently.  I enjoyed watching the romance bloom through Rosie's eyes and yet remain oblivious in Scarlett's.  (Note: See the font at the beginning of the chapters?  Scarlett's chapters are in uppercase and Rosie's are in lower.  Took me several chapters for me to figure that out.  Very fitting.)

I consider it a short read but it was very enjoyable and it now sits proudly among my books.  Borders will never see my copy again.  I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel now that the three of them have escaped--very, very narrowly--the danger that they faced in Atlanta.

I give it a B+ because something about it just doesn't pop out enough to make it a favorite of mine.  But it's a fun, brilliant read that doesn't deserve anything below a B+.

(And I absolutely LOVE the cover, don't you?  Very clever.)

Overall grade: B+
Sequel: "Sweetly" (coming 2011)