06 April 2010

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? Not like it's all that dangerous - the only neck I risk is my own. Until I accidently start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution. I should have just said no...
Low-Down
Once again Maria V. Snyder brings us a thrilling tale telling of Trella, a head-strong scrub working in the ducts.  Indifferent to the uppers living luxuriously above her while she works her tail end off living as a loner with a single friend, Cog.  Then she falls--literally--into a change.  She befriends Riley, an upper with a matching ignorance about scrubs.  She discovers that the uppers aren't all that different.  As Riley and Trella begin to become better friends, they uncover a whole network of lies and cover stories, of mysteries about their home.
Best Part
What I've always loved about Maria V. Snyder is her writing style.  It's straight up, in your face, gets right to the point.  Following the style of her other novels ("Study" and "Glass" series), she gets right into the action.  No lolly-gagging.  Also, her ability to give you the character in a flash moment.  It doesn't take her forever to give you an impression about the characters.  As soon as you meet them it's BAM! You've got them in your head.  This continues throughout the book and it makes it a brilliant, smooth ride.  
The Romance Deal
Maria V. Snyder's romances are always subtle but passionate.  It's never, "They SO should not be together!" Or that you want them with someone else.  No love triangles.  Romances are never a huge part of the story but they're always there to make it a little sweeter.  
The Down-Side
Is there a downside?  I don't think so.  I mean, come on, it's Maria V. Snyder!  Maybe the only downside is that it's similar to "City of Ember" but only in the whole "civilization trapped inside a place".  M.V.S. gives it her own unique twist.  That's what really got me with her first book, "Poison Study," by how unique and fresh the story plot was as well as the style.  To some people, Trella's attitude may irritate but she grows and changes during the story.  

Book Info:

  • pages - paperback, 320
  • published - April 2010
  • publisher - Harlequin
  • genre - science fiction
  • received via - Borders
  • rating - 5/5
  • series - Insiders
    • Inside Out
    • Outside In