06 February 2010

Reincarnation by Suzanne Weyn

From prehistory to the present, theirs was a love for the ages. It starts with a fight in a cave over an elusive green jewel . . . and then travels over time and lives to include Egyptian slaves, Greek temples, Massachusetts witch trials, Civil War battlefields, Paris on the eve of World War II, America in the 1960s . . . and a pair of modern-day teenagers. For readers who believe that love is stronger than time or death, this is an unforgettable novel from a wonderful storyteller.

This was a good book--the breath of fresh air I needed to get away from all my fantasy books.  The idea around this book was fascinating and I don't come across it very often.  I enjoyed watching how the characters changed every time around and watching the environment change as well was interesting and intriguing.

The only problem I had about this book was the ending.  These two characters (can't really give them a name since their names change every generation) faced all these hardships throughout time and then the last time, it's like their just given each other.  No struggle.  A little insecurity on her part.  The ending was too abrupt and not very satisfying.  I had to dock is a star because of that.  But everything up until then, I absolutely loved.  I read it in a day.

It's a short read but a good book to engage in when I wanted to get away from the fantasy.  This book is straight forward and lovely.

Book Info:

  • pages - hardcover, 304
  • published - March 2008
  • publisher - Scholastic
  • genre - fantasy
  • received via - library :)
  • rating - 4/5