24 January 2010

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater


For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again.


Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.
Okay. I have to get this out so I can feel better.

Shiver. Best freaking urban fantasy book ever.

Does it top Twilight? Heck yeah.

What truly strikes me about this book is the main character: Grace. She isn't weepy and pathetic or weak like Bella. She's strong and she's FUNNY! This book seems like it truly could be real. The characters are realistic and I can relate to many of Grace's ways of thinking. (How many times that happens? Almost never.)

I recommend this to the many, many fans of Twilight because it's a romance to kill for. It's stronger, in my opinion, than the romance of Twilight between Bella and Edward. The bond between Grace and Sam is deeper and the sparks between them much, MUCH more believable!

I also recommend this to the many, many non-fans of Twilight. Grace is funny and interesting and strong and far from the pathetic, wimpy, predictable Bella. Sam is a typical special teen boy. His story and reactions ring true. He's not the infuriating we-can't-be-together-because-I'm-dangerous type. In fact, he doesn't say anything along those lines. Does he do anything to protect Grace? Of course he does. He's hopelessly in love with her.

Onto more technical praises: I love how this story alternates between Grace and Sam. I simply LOVE that.

I read this book in less than twenty-four hours. I haven't gotten a book this good in a long, long time. It's a fantastic romance. I might even reread this. (Again, that feeling RARELY happens. It's a mark of just how much I like a book that I want to reread it.)

Another thing. I would LOVE to have a fifteen-minute conversation with this author. She appears to be a really fun person.

This is a great break from vampires. GO WEREWOLVES!


Book Info:
  • pages - hardcover, 392
  • published - August 2009
  • publisher - Scholastic Press
  • genre - urban fantasy
  • rating - 5/5
  • series - Wolves of Mercy Falls
    • Shiver
    • Linger
    • Forever